Thursday, November 17, 2011

Kosher Thanksgiving Menus... Yes, Plural!

As Thanksgiving is upon us I am trying out a few recipes ahead of time to get a feel for how much "1 batch" will make and how they will turn out.

This year we are cooking 2 separate meals.

One for us on Wednesday night, the kosher menu consists of:

Gravy (Meat)

Turkey (20 lbs) (Meat)

Challah Stuffing (Considered meat since it will cook inside the bird; alone it is parve.)
          -I haven't made this yet but it looks scrumptious. I will make it with a loaf of home made challah bread. I will set the dough up to rise in the  refrigerator on Tuesday night and then on Wednesday morning will make the bread so it is as fresh as possible for the stuffing.

Deviled Eggs (Parve)
          -Ethan makes these, so I was told the ingredients and okayed them as being "parve" but don't know the recipe.

Homemade Mashed Potatoes (Parve)
          -This was a big deal for me as I enjoy "dipping" my turkey in my potatoes & gravy.

Cranberry Sauce (Parve)

Beer Battered Green Beans (Parve)
         -This is a tradition that Ethan and I began 3 years ago, and it is his favorite.

Corn Bread (Dairy)
         -Made from scratch, moist & sweet, I consider this a dessert and will eat it 45 minutes to 1 hour after my meal of meat, most likely as a "snack" before dessert.

Dinner Rolls (Parve)
         -One thing I remember about Thanksgiving on my Father's side of the family is the potato dinner rolls. We buy them freshly baked from a bakery each year, and I warm them slightly in the oven


Homemade Pumpkin Pies (2) (Parve)
         -This will be my first attempt at making pies, this year I opted to use pre made raw crust however next year I may venture out and attempt a pie or 2 made completely from scratch.

Chocolate Silk Pie (Parve)
         -This pie is a vegan recipe, made with tofu and chocolate, with minimal prep time, and no oven time. I will be using a graham cracker crust that is pre cooked. 

Rice Crispy Treats (Parve) 
         -Yummy treat that packages well and keeps for a few days after the holiday. 



The second meal isn't a complete meal made by me. We are headed over to my Dad's house on Thanksgiving day to spend time with the family and I offered to bring pies, then I realized that not only is their home not a Jewish home (or kitchen) which is perfectly ok for them, but there will be Ham cooked in it. I quickly threw together a small compilation of food I could make the morning of Thanksgiving before heading over.

The menu consists of:
Turkey (Meat)
Challah Stuffing (Meat when stuffed in the bird, Parve if cooked outside the bird)
Homemade Corn Bread (Dairy)
Homemade Pumpkin Pies (2) (Parve)

I also plan to package up a few helpings of leftovers from the night before for myself so that I can enjoy the meal without breaking any Mitzvahs.

No comments:

Post a Comment